Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Attack Politics

I was watching the news the other day and two items struck me as something that I wanted to blog about. The first one was how John McCain had to hire an entire phone bank to refute malicious charges that were being put out there by mail, robo-dialing (a measure in which a machine randomly calls phone numbers in an area and then plays a recorded message, should the call be answered). The second story was about Bill Clinton's role in Hillary's campaign. I find both of these items connected.

Now let's look at this closely. Here we have a man, who is a decorated war veteran, a former POW, and someone that has served 22 years in the Senate. This man runs for president and has to devote thousands of dollars toward defending himself from spurious accusations being made by some "third-party" supporter of one of his opponents. This is all taking place in South Carolina, which if you recall from the 2000 campaign ran pretty much the same way. Someone who supported George W. Bush had a campaign to call people and suggest that John McCain's daughter, who was adopted from Bangladesh, was actually John's from an interracial adulterous affair. It was appalling...and it worked. Bush trounced McCain. So this time around, McCain was not taking any chances and hired a anti-hit squad. I'm pretty jaded and cynical, but I find this beyond the pale. What is wrong with South Carolina? Or is this indicative of our system of smear and burn? I just want to in the end pick the best candidate.

It has apparently become the Clinton strategy to deploy Bill as the attack dog. Bill Clinton has been vigorously attacking Barack Obama on the campaign trail. He is distorting what Obama says and his positions. I personally find this offensive. I think it is unseemly for a former president to be running around the country campaigning in this manner. It cheapens the dignity of the office and lessens his own legacy. You can see it in his face that Bill Clinton is angry that Obama is standing in the way of Hillary. I personally don't like it when people think they are entitled to something they have not earned. Bill Clinton thinks his wife is entitled to the presidency because it was apart of their lives' plan. It is not right.

On a side note, Fred Thompson dropped out of the race today, but couldn't be bothered to endorse anyone. I'm going to miss him. He is truly a scion of the ambivalent. I raise my glass to you sir. Well, metaphorically, I don't really want to make the effort...

5 comments:

Marsha Schmidt said...

My view is that Clinton just loves running for office and although he is talking up Hillary, the reality is that he is on auto mode and running for office just as hard as when he did it for himself.

When they remind us of how nice it was when he was President, failing to mention the constant fighting with the Republicans to the point of impeachment (that is how far the GOP was willing to go to get him), he is fighting to save his own legacy. If she loses, it is a rebuke of his Presidency.

I just hope Obama takes a page out of McCain's handbook and mans the phone banks.

Carlw4514 said...

what's the term for the campaign worker who is pretending to be taking a poll by phone but actually is de-faming the opponent with sly questions?

PS I would have been tempted to delay Marsha's comment until she fussed about it [g]... then again, Sue tells me I tease *way* too much.

Carlw4514 said...

BTW,
are you buying this?

http://tinyurl.com/2te24x

The Angry Moderate said...

I can't stand Dick Morris. I've heard this from a couple of different pundits. I just don't view this in those terms. Iowa certainly doesn't fit the description here.

Anonymous said...

On the subject of Fred Thomspon, when I came home today Pat was watching "Hunt for Red October" and old Fred was prominently featured and all I could think was-What a tool! Late to the race and early to take his ball and go home. Jeez, what a turd.